Hello Everyone! My name is Isabela and this is my first blog entry!
First, I am going to briefly introduce myself: I am a 20-year-old Psychology student who is about to start her last year. I have been living in London for about five years now and I’m Spanish. Specifically, from the north-west of Spain, Galicia. You might have not heard from this place before, however, it is the best part of Spain (and I am not biased at all), if you have heard from it, it’s most likely because of El Camino de Santiago. And I do recommend you to visit Galicia, because of how incredibly beautiful it is and also because of how amazing the food is. Here is a little snippet of what you could find in this paradise I call home:
So now that you know a little bit about me, let’s talk about how I ended up in Pearl Lemon! My friend Paula kept talking about this amazing partnership that she was doing, and since I am on my last year of my undergraduate and trying to figure out what I want to do after. I saw this opportunity and I couldn’t let it go. Therefore, Paula gave my resume to Deepak, went through my first ever Whatsapp interview and later on I received the incredible news that I was joining the team!!
So this is how my first week in Pearl Lemon has gone so far:
- As I joined the team I became the resident video editor for Plant Sumo. This was very exciting for me because I have always wanted to look into video editing, however, I never had the opportunity to do it. So after a lot of binge-watching youtube tutorials on how to edit youtube videos on Imovie, I was given the footage and started working on it.
- It takes a long time to edit a video:
- First, you have to go through all the footage.
- Secondly, check if the clips are in vertical/horizontal and if they are for a youtube video, you have to add a background if the video is in vertical.
- When you have already checked, organise the footage (sometimes you have to guide yourself by looking at where has one water bottle moved throughout the video).
- Then, after organising it all, you have to look at it and cut out what you find unnecessary or even speed up different clips.
- Finally, the fun part comes, adding music, speeding up clips, adding different effects, etc.
- Double-check all the video and if you are happy with the content post in youtube as an unlisted video and share it with the team.
- So this videos I have edited are for the Plant Sumo youtube channel and specifically for the Pre-launching series. We are getting a new editor for this week, which is very exciting.
- Besides this, I have also been helping out Paula with ResumeCats, created some demo videos and the launching newsletter.
- I was also a guest for the Plant Sumo podcast which is hosted by Rachael. It was so much fun! And Rachael is brilliant as a hostess, she made the conversation one hundred times more enjoyable.
- I also had a chat with Federica, to talk about my first week, how I had been handling it, got given new tasks and got to know her a little bit better.
Overall, my first week was a lot of learning and adapting. Adapting to this working style was very fun. However, convincing my parents and whoever was in my house that even though I am at home, and in my room, I am working and I shouldn’t be interrupted, was very hard. So, going to cafes has been my saving grace. Furthermore, I learnt cool new skills and rediscovered many things about myself.
For my next week in Pearl Lemon, I will be now taking part in the LeadGen team. I’ve been using this weekend to prepare myself for it and it looks very exciting and challenging. However, that’s the reason why I wanted to join this partnership programme, to challenge myself and learn as much as I could!
I hope that you enjoyed reading my first entry and I hope to see you next week!